Diabetes – Sharing Best Practice29th March 2019
The Clinical Education Centre held a learning event on the 21st February 2019 in Fern House, Antrim Area Hospital site.
There were 45 participants from a range of professions including nursing, midwifery, dietitians, physiotherapists.
Key learning from the day included:
- Northern Ireland now has a Diabetes Framework (2016)
- Increasing prevalence of diabetes globally, especially Type 2 diabetes.
- 4.7 million people in the UK have diabetes
- 96,100 people have diabetes in Northern Ireland, not counting those who are unaware they have the condition
- Someone is diagnosed with diabetes every 2 minutes
- Over 2/3 people with diabetes don’t fully understand the condition
- There is now an increased use of technology to monitor blood glucose and to improve control.
Know your risk and decrease it: www.diabetes.org.uk/risk
Key messages from evaluations