Anaesthetic Nursing (Children)
To facilitate development of safe and competent anaesthetic assistants in the paediatric perioperative enviorment.
By the end of the session participants will be able to:
- Explain the clinical and safety factors to be considered in preparing a child for theatre, including anaesthesia in remote locations
- Explain normal anatomy of the paediatric airway, potential obstruction / difficult intubation, and safe use of emergency manoeuvres and equipment to secure the airway
- Explain cardiovascular monitoring, signs of deterioration and appropriate actions
- Explain specific and potential care requirements in specialities such as ENT, Cardiac, neurosurgery, burns and maxillo-facial surgery
- Explain intraoperative patient care, including safe transfer, positioning, pressure area care, management of temperature and prophylaxis to reduce the risk of complications
- Discuss the safe storage and use of routine drugs and fluids in the perioperative environment
- Explain and summarise systematic assessment of a child, tools to promote effective communication to the whole team, including family members, and inter / intra hospital transfers
Nurses/Operating Department Practitioners working in theatre environments where paediatric anaesthesia is undertaken.
Ancillary training: e-learning CPD modules through www.perioperativecpd.com (list will be provided with email confirmation of training place)
Intravenous cannulation; Intravenous medicines; Right Patient, Right Blood; Paediatric Fluid Management; Safeguarding Level 2; Infection Control and ANTT; Manual Handling; Safe Use of Medical Gases; Safe Use of Lasers ; Understanding Consent; Emergency Airway Course Jan 2019(details to be confirmed); MEPA Medical Emergencies in Paediatric Anaesthetics (dates to be confirmed); POEMS Positive Outcomes and Experiential Management Strategies 2019 (date to be confirmed); Paediatric Pain Management
Lectures & simulation
Please note you will be informed in advance if there is a direct cost to you or your organisation for your attendance at this programme.
Back to Top for Course Dates
Sorry, there are currently no further dates scheduled for this programme. However, if you would like you may register your interest.