Attention Autism Day 2 for Speech & Language Therapists working in a Sure Start Setting
To prepare staff to deliver the Attention Autism programme: The workshop focuses on Stages 3 and 4 of Attention Autism programme. It provides practical hands-on opportunities for the attendees to engage in activities and enable them to become confident about delivering a high quality programme.
- Participants will consolidate their learning on stage 1: focus attention and 2: maintain attention
- Participants will learn to deliver Stage 3 Stage 3: Focus and Re-engage Attention
- Participants will learn to deliver stage 4 Stage Shift and Re-engage Attention
- Participants who attended Day 1 Workshop (4 May 2017)
- HSC employed Speech & Language Therapists who work in a Sure Start setting
- Mandatory Prerequisite: Degree in Speech & Language Therapy Band 6 and 7
- Programme Support Specialists with Early Years degree level qualification employed by HSCB to support Programme for 2-3 year old staff and who work closely with SLTs in projects Band 6
Lecture and Workshop based.
Tutor: Lorraine Scott, Middletown Centre for Autism.
Please note, places will not be allocated until after the closing date. You will be notified of the outcome of your application by email.
Key Areas to be Covered
- The impact of autism on the development of attention skills and on a child’s ability to learn both 1:1 and in a group.
- Utilizing learning strengths.
- Teaching social skills: communication, waiting, turn-taking and learning through imitation, problem solving.
- Teaching independent working.
- It is expected that a group of pre-school children would be able to focus and keep their attention in a group for up to 20 minutes within six weeks (depending on cognitive ability levels).
Please note you will be informed in advance if there is a direct cost to you or your organisation for your attendance at this programme.
Back to Top for Course Dates
Sorry, there are currently no further dates scheduled for this programme. However, if you would like you may register your interest.