Breaking Bad News for Sonographers
To support sonographers who undertake the anomaly scan in their role in breaking bad news to parents when an abnormality is suspected on the fetal anomaly scan
- Describe the subjective nature of bad news and explain the strategy outlined in the NI Regional Guidelines on breaking bad news
- Describe the role of the sonographer in the breaking bad news process
- Identify the communication skills involved in breaking bad news
- List the steps employed in the breaking bad news strategy
- Consider how the guidelines can be applied to sonography practice
- Explain the possible effects of Breaking Bad News on the professionals involved
Bands 6 – 8 Sonography staff who undertake the fetal anomaly scan in HSC Trusts
One half day training based on existing breaking bad news programme delivered by CEC. Delivery will involve presentations, discussion, group work and communication demonstrations using pre-recorded video materials.
- Sue Patchett, Nurse Education Consultant, CEC
- Helen Ong and Hazel McBurney, Lead Sonographers
Places will not be allocated until after the closing date. You will be advised of the outcome of your application via email.
Key Areas to be Covered
Support sonographers who undertake the anomaly scan in their role in breaking bad news to parents when an abnormality is suspected on the fetal anomaly scan. Discuss regional guidelines and how they apply to sonographer practice. Share the experience with peers who are participating in the course to help develop skills and confidence of participants
Please note you will be informed in advance if there is a direct cost to you or your organisation for your attendance at this programme.
Back to Top for Course Dates
Sorry, there are currently no further dates scheduled for this programme. However, if you would like you may register your interest.