Venepuncture & Intravenous Cannulation Combined (Children)
To facilitate participants to develop the knowledge and skills required to undertake safe and effective venepuncture and intravenous cannulation in children & young people.
By the end of the session the participant will be able to:
- Discuss the legal and professional implications of venepuncture and cannulation
- Examine the nurses role in minimising anxiety and distress in children and families
- Outline the anatomy and physiology of the venous system
- Discuss the criteria applied to site selection and choosing a device
- Outline the principles of Aseptic Non-Touch Technique and EPIC 3 guidelines
- Identify potential complications of venepuncture and cannulation
- Demonstrate the skill of venepuncture and intravenous cannulation via simulated practice
Following this theoretical component the participant must engage with an appropriate skilled practitioner in his/her clinical area, to further develop a greater knowledge and understanding of this person-centred care activity. This will involve supervised practice which should be completed within 12 weeks to consolidate learning and application to practice. It is the responsibility of the individual participant to complete this activity and to confirm completion with his/her line manager
Lecture, Discussion, Demonstration and Simulated Practice
Please note you will be informed in advance if there is a direct cost to you or your organisation for your attendance at this programme.
Back to Top for Course Dates