Emergency Care of Child in Emergency Department (3 Days)
This 3-day course will provide a background for Registered Nurses working in ED Department, in the safe care of children.
The Nurse caring for children in ED Department will be able to:
• Discuss how to meet the holistic needs of the child in ED Department
• Consider legal and professional issues in caring for children
• Discuss principles of Fluid management in children ( 4 weeks-16 years)
• Outline practical management of Sudden Infant Death in ED
• Discuss safe administration of medicines to children and undertake drug calculations efficiently ( Group-work/Testing)
• Discuss principles of safeguarding children and appropriate actions
• Describe normal physiological parameters / PEWS in children
• Outline approaches to pain assessment & management of the child
• Recognise/ manage the key emergencies affecting children who attend ED, (eg , DKA,, Respiratory Difficulties, Seizure activity),
• Assessment/ Management of Minor Injuries in children e.g. Fractures, Head Injuries, Wounds)
• Describe the main features of handover of child from ED Nurse to ward based nurse
*All nurses in Emergency Department caring for children, should attend PILS (Paediatric Immediate Life Support) update annually
*Nurses must demonstrate ability to safely calculate drugs for children before the end of the 3-day programme
Lecture, Demonstration, Practice.
Please note you will be informed in advance if there is a direct cost to you or your organisation for your attendance at this programme.
Back to Top for Course Dates
Sorry, there are currently no further dates scheduled for this programme. However, if you would like you may register your interest.