Emergency Care of Child in Emergency Department ( For WHSCT ED Staff only) 3 day programme
This 3-day course will provide a background for Registered Nurses working in ED Department, in the safe care of children.
The Nurse caring for children in ED Department will be able to:
• Discuss how to meet the holistic needs of the child in ED Department
• Consider legal and professional issues in caring for children
• Discuss principles of Fluid management in children ( 4 weeks-16 years)
• Outline practical management of Sudden Infant Death in ED
• Discuss safe administration of medicines to children and undertake drug calculations efficiently ( Group-work/Testing)
• Discuss principles of safeguarding children and appropriate actions
• Describe normal physiological parameters / PEWS in children
• Outline approaches to pain assessment & management of the child
• Recognise/ manage the key emergencies affecting children who attend ED, (eg , DKA,, Respiratory Difficulties, Seizure activity),
• Assessment/ Management of Minor Injuries in children e.g. Fractures, Head Injuries, Wounds)
• Describe the main features of handover of child from ED Nurse to ward based nurse
*All nurses in Emergency Department caring for children, should attend PILS (Paediatric Immediate Life Support) update annually
*Nurses must demonstrate ability to safely calculate drugs for children before the end of the 3-day programme
Lecture, Demonstration, Practice.
Please note you will be informed in advance if there is a direct cost to you or your organisation for your attendance at this programme.
Back to Top for Course Dates