Physical Healthcare Needs of the Person with a Mental Illness - for Registered Nurses
To increase the knowledge and skills of the registered nurse with regard to the physical health care needs of service users with a mental illness.
- Reflect on the evidence regarding medical co-morbidity in people with a mental illness.
- Develop an understanding of the main risk factors for poor physical health and increased risk of mortality in this client group including the prescription of antipsychotic medication.
- Recognise and understand the key signs and symptoms of common physical health problems such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease, acute toxic confusional states and delirium.
- Explore evidenced based lifestyle advice regarding recommendations for dietary intake and physical activity levels to optimise good physical health in this client group.
- Explore avenues of support for people with mental illness in the management of long term chronic physical conditions.
Lecture and discussion
Please note you will be informed in advance if there is a direct cost to you or your organisation for your attendance at this programme.
Back to Top for Course Dates
Sorry, there are currently no further dates scheduled for this programme. However, if you would like you may register your interest.