Dementia Capable Care: Behaviours
The purpose of this programme is to advance a culture of care that enhances the Care, Welfare, Safety and SecuritySM in organisations that support persons with dementia.
By the end of the programme participants will be able to:
- Develop an understanding of dementia from an abilities-based perspective
- Practise person-centred approaches to dementia care
- Learn and practise communication skills that are most effective when supporting, calming, de-escalating, or physically intervening with an individual with dementia
- Organise complexities of behavioural challenges into four distinct levels and practise the most effective responses at each level
- Learn and practise calming, de-escalation, personal safety, and holdng skills to minimise risks and maximise safety during challenging situations
- Use CPI's COPING ModelSM for reviewing challenging incidents so problems can be prevented and Therapeutic Rapport can be maintained.
Open to all relevent staff.
Theory, groupwork and practical skills
If you have a medical condition which may affect your ability to engage in practical workshops, such as an existing back injury then you should seek advice from your occupational health service and/or line manager before attending the course. Inform trainers of any medical condition you may have at the beginning of the programme.
Participants should wear comfortable clothing that allows free movement, and footwear with a flat sole or low heel (as might be reasonably expected within the working environment) in order to reduce the risk of slips, trips and falls.
This course is mapped to Tier 2 of the NI Dementia Learning and Development Framework (2016)
Tier 2: This tier ensures staff have the knowledge to enable them to understand the needs of people living with a dementia and provide better quality care. This is generally aimed at staff with expertise in an environment which is not dementia specific or staff who are involved in any aspect of care for a person living with dementia.
Please note you will be informed in advance if there is a direct cost to you or your organisation for your attendance at this programme.
Back to Top for Course Dates
Please select an appropriate time and venue and click the apply button to register for this course.
|Label||Dates & Times||Venue||Facilitator||Administrator|
|Open to all relevent staff||
Wednesday 11th & Thursday 12th October 2017
(09:15 - 4:30)
|Northern Ireland Hospice - Somerton Road||