Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT) (2 days)
To provide nurses with the knowledge and skills to carry out all duties and responsibilities in caring for people who are prescribed E.C.T.
By the end of this course participants will have:
- Demonstrated competency in the safe preparation of patients for E.C.T
- Recognised and discussed safety aspects relating to the administration of E.C.T
- Demonstrated knowledge relating to the care of a person undergoing anaesthesia
- Recognised the psychological needs of the person and their carer(s)
- Recognised the importance of developing practice in the provision of E.C.T.
- Recognised the roles and responsibilities of the E.C.T. Team regarding effective communication
Registered Nurses currently working within E.C.T. services which provide E.C.T
Pre-requisites - participants should have up to date basic life support and moving and handling or have definite plans to complete these.
Teacher/classroom contact with theoretical input will take place.
Clinical Practice will be undertaken from weeks 1-12.
This two day course is in keeping with the National Association Lead Nurses for E.C.T. (NALNECT) programme.
All nurses attending this course will be required to observe and participate in 10 sessions of E.C.T. over the three month period in order to complete a competency based workbook.
Following this theoretical component the participant must engage with an appropriate skilled practitioner, in his/her clinical area, to further develop a greater knowledge and understanding of this person-centred care activity. This will involved completion of the competency based workbook, which should be completed within 6-9 months to consolidate learning and application to practice. It is the responsibility of the individual participant to complete this activity and to confirm completion with his/her line manager.
Please note you will be informed in advance if there is a direct cost to you or your organisation for your attendance at this programme.
Back to Top for Course Dates
Sorry, there are currently no further dates scheduled for this programme. However, if you would like you may register your interest.