Anaesthetic Nursing (6 Days)
To enable the Registered Nurse to develop a broad knowledge base and to enhance their skills in the care of people undergoing / recovering from anesthesia.
By the end of this course the Registered Nurse will be able to:
- Describe the pathophysiological changes during and following anaesthesia
- Debate legal, professional and ethical aspects of anaesthetic and recovery nursing
- Reflect on a current research pertinent to anaesthetic and recovery nursing
- Outline the anatomy and physiology of the cardiorespiratory system
- Discuss how to safely prepare, manage and transfer the anaesthetised patient(including paediatric and obstetric patients) in the theatre environment and in remote locations
- Critically analyse the importance of human factors, situational awareness and risk management during anaesthesia
- Demonstrate the care and skills required during induction, maintainance, reversal and recovery phases of anaesthesia including difficult intubation and anaesthetic emergencies
- Collaborate effectively as part of the multidisciplinary team to ensure safe effective and high quality patient centred care is delivered
- Analyse arterial blood gases relating to case scenarios
- Complete Anaesthetic Competency Booklet
Lecture/ discussion/ demonstration
Following this theoretical component the participant must engage with an appropriate skilled practitioner in his/her clinical area, to further develop a greater knowledge and understanding of this person-centred care activity. This will involve supervised practice which should be completed to consolidate learning and application to practice. It is the responsibility of the individual participant to complete this activity and to confirm completion with his/her line manager
Please note you will be informed in advance if there is a direct cost to you or your organisation for your attendance at this programme.
Back to Top for Course Dates
Sorry, there are currently no further dates scheduled for this programme. However, if you would like you may register your interest.