Senior Nursing Assistants (Children) Annual Update
This 4-day programme will develop and update the knowledge, skills and attitudes of the children’s support worker in the safe and effective care of the sick child in community/hospital.
At the end of the course, participants will be able to:
Day 1 & 2 (Mandatory Component)
- Discuss the relevance of monitoring and reporting vital signs recognising, and acting appropriately, if a child’s condition is deteriorating/ Introduction to PEWS
- Outline the role of the children’s support worker in an emergency situation, initiating, or supporting others, in basic life support of infant/child/adult, as required
- Safely move and handle children
- Outline and apply the principles of safeguarding children and take appropriate measures
Days 3 & 4 (Clinical Skills- Updates)
- Discuss and demonstrate, in a simulated situation, the management of the child with a tracheostomy
- Describe and demonstrate, in a simulated situation, the procedure of safe management of a nasogastric tube in child and administration of enteral feed.
- Describe and demonstrate, in a simulated situation, the procedure of safe management of a gastrostomy device in child and administration of enteral feed.
- Outline the safe management of child with a jejunostomy device, including enteral feeding.
- Review management of epilepsy in children
Children’s Home Carers and Children’s ward-based Nursery Nurses
Lecture/ Discussion/ Demonstration & Simulated Practice/ Practice Scenarios/ Work-Stations
Please note you will be informed in advance if there is a direct cost to you or your organisation for your attendance at this programme.
Back to Top for Course Dates