Venesection – Adult
To facilitate participants in the development of the appropriate knowledge and skills to safely perform venesection on a patient.
At the end of the session the participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate their knowledge of what venesection is and why it is performed.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the anatomy and physiology in selecting a vein and the appropriate equipment to use.
- Discuss the infection prevention and control issues relating to venesection.
- Discuss the health and safety issues.
- Identify the complications and their management, associated with venesection.
Following this theoretical component the participant must engage with an appropriate skilled practitioner, in his/her clinical area, to further develop a greater knowledge and understanding of this person-centred care activity. This will involve supervised practice in Cannulation, which should be completed within 12 weeks to consolidate learning and application to practice.
It is the responsibility of the individual participant to complete this activity and to confirm completion with his/her line manager.
Please note you will be informed in advance if there is a direct cost to you or your organisation for your attendance at this programme.
Back to Top for Course Dates
Sorry, there are currently no further dates scheduled for this programme. However, if you would like you may register your interest.