Diabetes - Level 3 Competency Based Training for Dietitians (previously known as Level B/C)
To advance practice in the nutritional management of diabetes
To deliver on the Level 3 Diabetes UK DMEG competencies relating to clinical diabetes management, and education of people with diabetes
- Assess the role of carbohydrate counting in the management of diabetes, and be able to offer appropriate advice about assessment of carbohydrates
- Examine the role of insulin, including adjustment in terms of carbohydrate consumed, blood glucose levels and exercise
- Appraise the causes, symptoms and treatment of hypoglycaemia
- Examine the main considerations of dietary management for exercise with diabetes
- Apply the nutritional management of pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Translate theory into practice in a variety of clinical scenarios
- Appraise the current practice and formulate strategies for increasing knowledge and skills
- Reflect how the DMEG competencies impact on the NI access diabetes criteria for community settings and how we ensure appropriate referral in specialist clinics based upon the specialist access criteria
- Consider care pathways for specialist clinics
- To act as a precursor to the "Update on Carbohydrate Counting and assessment of patient's CHO counting competencies prior to insulin pump initiation" course
- To assist in meeting the other DMEG competencies at level 3. Dietitians should be active members of DMEG, Diabetes UK, complete Behaviour Modification Course Part 1, 2 (Band 6) and 3 (Band 7) (or similar course), and be active in audit, CPD and participate in research at any level
The course will be suitable for Dietitians already practising at specialist level, who wish to increase their knowledge
The course assumes a basic understanding of, and experience in, treating people with diabetes e.g. completed Level 2 competency based training or a MSc diabetes module
Lectures, interactive workshop and discussion
Places will not be allocated until after the closing date. You will be informed of the outcome of your application via email.
Course Tutors: Diane Cromwell, Sharon Martin, Judith Woodend
The course will include pre-course material and a self directed learning tool to be completed after the course.
Diabetes UK DMEG Competencies (Date of issue Feb 2011) available on the open section of www.dmeg.org.uk
This is not a CHO counting course. Those wishing to gain those skills and meet NICE Guidelines for SPE must attend either DAFNE or BERTIE Training
Please note you will be informed in advance if there is a direct cost to you or your organisation for your attendance at this programme.
Back to Top for Course Dates